When it comes to purchasing riding gear, to a rider, no piece of equipment is more significant than a good motorcycle helmet. Protection against stern head injuries is a serious business. A motorcycle rider’s head is serious business and getting hands on just the right one may be a daunting task considering so many styles and brands in the market.
To satisfy even the most incomprehensible riding requirements, helmets come in all shapes, styles, and sizes, as it is the most intimate and imperative riding gear when it comes to safety. Just like the seat belt in the car the helmet provides efficient protection to the riders on a motorcycle.
Many riders relish the elation when it comes to freedom of traveling and riding a motorbike; they are not cognizant of the perpetual risks of riding without this important piece of safety equipment. This is the main reason for most crashes and also why people get injured or even die every day. Thus it is utmost essential to wear some kind of safety gear like a helmet to guard themselves against such calamities.
While there are many helmets out there serving different styles, types, materials, and features, but the reality is that most helmets are designed with some basic principles in mind. They all are meant to provide you safety against a crash and they do all that with a few key parts. And following are some with how they work:
- Outer Shell: This is the thing what’s on the outside and everybody can see. It is the hard and rigid protecting your head in it from any hit in an accident. Usually, it is made of Kevlar, carbon fiber, hard plastics or even fiberglass material that are strong enough to protect it from abrasion when the helmet hit the ground and saves your head from any injury.
- Crushable Layer: The thick foam layer is another cushion add-on under the outer shell for extra support of the skull. It is made of expandable polystyrene as that is lightweight and crushes under pressure. It is the physics behind this layer that when it crashes it happens to absorb and disseminate the high gravity forces, which is a large amount of energy, that can directly impact one’s head when gotten into a crash.
- Padded Comfort Layer: As the name suggests it is an extra layer inside to give that comfort, it is lined to make the helmet snug and comfortable. It is not just for comfort either but also for the important need for safety. It also makes sure that the edges aren’t projectile out to hurt one during a crash.
- Chin Strap: This is a basic yet vital component that keeps the helmet sturdy with its chinstrap cinched down with a pair of D-rings that hold most kinds of helmets in place. It provides a life-saving protection when you ride and if is, unfortunately, a victim of a crash.
What Are The Different Motorcycle Helmet Types?
A very common and simple question but with not so simple answer that comes in any motorcyclist’s head is, what kind of motorcycle helmet is best for them? According to the safety stats its utterly important to pick the right one depending on the type of riding you do.
There is also a need for figuring out the style and look of the helmet for comfort and satisfaction. With the wide-ranging variety of helmet styles to choose from following are just a few best options according to your targeted type of helmet:
Must Read Our Article on::Types Of Motorcycle Helmets – What’s Your Impeccable Choice?
1. Dome Helmet / Skull Cap:
There are the favorites of a cruiser rider and aren’t worn all the time but generally when the state requires that a helmet shall be worn on riding a motorcycle. It is the least one can get away with when such a law is implemented. These are the bare minimum when it comes to protection.
They seem quite unprofessional and only cover the top of your head. Even then they appear to be a decent choice than not wearing a helmet as safety matters. Following are a few options of best dome helmets.
2. Shoei J-Cruise Helmets:
It is not just an ordinary open face lid; it is packed with inventive features like a smooth operating, distortion-free shield, built-in sun shield, innovative ventilation and more.
It is a great combination of fitness and style. It provides enhanced impact absorption by utilizing varying densities of foaming.
Air dam that is integrated into the face shield reduces the wind turbulence and noise inside the helmet, which also keeps one from getting into any accidents.
Features of Shoei J-Cruise Helmets:
- CJ-2 shield
- The internal built-in sun shield
- 3D max dryer interior system
- 4 shell sizes to ensure the right fit
- EPS lining
- Tall field of vision
- 99% sun rays protection
- Distortion free view
- Prevents wind turbulence
- Shield locking mechanism for secure closure
- Easy to open and close
- Dimensions 15.5” x 11” x 11.8”
3. Bell Rogue helmet:
It is safe with attitude; it has the look of a half helmet with complete ¾ of comfort. The purpose f such a built is to guard against certain elements. It is lightweight thus the rider doesn’t get much distraction and also the shape provides further ease.
The easy muzzle connection and removal is further possible due to its magnetic locking connection. It comes with an industrial 5-year warranty, as it is a quality buy.
Features of Bell Rogue helmet:
- Lightweight composite shell
- EPS system for personal fit
- Durable adjustable muzzle featuring a removable liner
- Convenient speaker pockets
- Stainless steel D-rings and metal badges
- Removable and washable interior
- Magnetic locks
4. Open Face Helmet / Half Helmet:
The sides and back of the head are also protected with this particular type of helmet. This is nearly as good as the whole face helmet the only thing that doesn’t get protection is the eyes, thus getting a google can cover that too. Usually, the police officer is seen wearing this type and other cruiser riders.
While they being less protective overall as they leave out face, ears and the base of one’s head exposed, even when they happen to have one big advantage i.e. they have great visibility and more comfort from the airflow perspective. This helmet happens to have a decent weight, which is also a plus factor.
5. GMAX GM65 Harley Cruiser Motorcycle Helmet:
The newest GM65 Naked half is yet full of fresh design features that include a new element of less hassle and quick changing sun shield system. This one is rated for a 100% UV protection.
The dual density EPS functionality makes it a perfect fit for many head shapes and sizes. The design provides a decent safety with many amazing features.
Features of GMAX GM65 Harley Cruiser Motorcycle Helmet:
- Retractable hard coated UV400 sun shield
- Tinted shield
- No spring shield lift design
- Thermo-plastic poly alloy shell
- Dual density EPS
- Removable snaps
- Weather friendly
- Premium ventilation system
- Fully removable CoolMax comfort liner
- Quick drying mechanism
- High quality painted shell
6. HJC Solid IS-Cruiser Half (1/2) Shell Motorcycle Helmet:
This particular open face helmet is quite an exclusive buy as it has a D-retention system and is lightweight to be comfortable enough for the rider.
The sun shield is clear and provides quality protection against the blinding sun. it is DOT approved and is quite easy to maintain and clean due to the removable and washable liner.
Features of HJC Solid IS-Cruiser Half (1/2) Shell Motorcycle Helmet:
- Plush and moisture-wicking Nylex interior
- Removable and washable liner
- Nylon strap D-ring retention system
- Integrated smoked sunshield
- Superior fit and comfort
- Advanced CAD technology
- Dimensions: 14” x 10.8” x 9.5”
- Lightweight advanced polycarbonate composite shell
Full Face Helmet
It is like the rich picked cream when it comes to helmets. It provides great protection covering all sides of your head including the chin. It has a sturdy face shield that gives protection against insects and bugs. These helmets offer the most protection and also does it give a much cooler look.
The main edge of wearing a full-face helmet is that a rider can see everything and the wide angle of road pretty clearly. Some of the best helmets under this type are as follows along with their quality features that make them worth the buy:
7. Bell Bullitt Carbon Full Face Motorcycle Helmet:
It is modern for and inspiration of the very first bell star helmet. It has exceptional fit feature and ultra- quality details. The bagger comes with an additional fat dark smoke shield. It is perfect for those who love to show off much of a vintage look with full-face protection.
Features of Bell Bullitt Carbon Full Face Motorcycle Helmet:
- Low-profile carbon composite shell
- 3 shell and EPS sizes for perfect personalized fit
- Front chin vents
- Metal mesh intakes and exhaust vents
- Accessory shield for a personalized look
- Genuine leather interior
- Removable and washable inner liner
8. Schuberth C3 Basic Matt Black Motorcycle Helmet:
It is the lightest and smallest flip front helmet weighing approx. 1550g and is a perfect fit for many. It has a wind tunnel-inspired design that uses areas of low and high pressure in order to create a cooling effect without creating any noise. It has looks and safety elements both to it thus it is a highly rated pick of many.
Features of Schuberth C3 Basic Matt Black Motorcycle Helmet:
- Integrated sun visor
- Grade A visor optics
- Quick release locking visor
- Quick removable and washable lining
- High-speed aerodynamic stability
- Anti-roll-off safety feature
- Innovative multi ventilation system
- High-pressure control
- Noise quenching ability
Touring Motorcycle Helmets
Touring helmets are designed to give one comfort and safety if they are to go cover any long distance. Comfort on the long ride is more than just a necessary because having a noisy ride and no ventilation with helmet weight altogether plays a part in rider’s experience.
The fact is that long rides can get very uncomfortable thus getting hands on the right touring helmet really is a matter of trepidation. Ventilation is utmost important on a long drive in a hot weather thus one shall look for the helmet with good vents. Touring helmets usually come with Bluetooth and speakers so you may stay connected and entertained.
9. HJC RPHA-11 Pro Solid Helmet (Semi Flat Titanium, Large)
It is a premium helmet that has an integrated matrix plus feature, carbon fiber build and a unique woven blend that makes the shell both durable and strong.
By being strong it no ways means it is heavy in fact it is quite lightweight. It is adjustable due to the controllable rubber trimming on each vent.
The ventilation system is also very satisfying comparing any weather. When the weather is concerned it works well even in the blinding fog.
Features of HJC RPHA-11 Pro Solid Helmet:
- Optimized shell design
- Max Air-flow top vent
- Adjustable Vents
- Aerodynamic shell
- Strong and durable
- ACS advanced channeling ventilation system
- Enlarged eye port for a wider view
- Superior automatic shield lock
- Anti-fog lenses
- Moisture wicking and quick drying function
- Incorporated emergency kit
- Double D-Ring
10. Shoei Terminus RF-1200 Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet:
It’s a helmet by the Japanese company that is one of the most popular lines for producing motorsport helmets. While exploring the exciting unknowns there lies behind an uncontrollable desire to push the limits thus it is important to not forget the safety while reaching those limits. It is a lighter yet more compact streamlined helmet that comprises of next level functionality.
Features of Shoei Terminus RF-1200 Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet:
- Ventilation system
- Pin-lock anti-fog system
- Aerodynamic design
- Compact and lightweight
- 4 shell sizes
- 3D max dryer system
- Multi-ply matrix shell
- Breath guard
- Chin curtain
- Multi-density EPS liner
Modular Motorcycle Helmets
During the recent years, modular motorcycle helmets have skyrocketed in popularity as the motorcyclists seek flexibility from their daily helmet choice.
Modular motorcycle helmets allow a rider to wear the helmet in full-face configuration with face shield and chin bar guard also it gives an option of wearing it with chin bar lifted up.
They are extremely popular with the touring riders as they allow the flexibility of changing the helmet shield with just one push of a button.
11. Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet Modular Flip-up Dual Visors Full Face:
This motorcycle helmet with built-in Bluetooth feature is a perfect helmet that offers you a complete system for your interaction needs while you are riding your motorcycle.
It has built-in noise-canceling microphones and speakers that allow the bikers to receive GPS notifications, make calls and also listen to the music. The intercom communication feature allows you to stay in touch while riding for up to 500m with 2 fellow bikers.
Features of Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet Modular Flip-up Dual Visors Full Face:
- ABS lightweight shell
- Advanced ventilation system
- Universal Bluetooth connectivity
- Cheek pads and liner are perspiration absorbent
- Easy to remove and clean liner
- Group communication feature
12. ILM 8 Colors Motorcycle Modular Flip-up Dual Visor Helmet:
Due to the sleek design and amazing features of this helmet it has become a hit for many, it brilliantly cuts down on noise by wind and provides an amazing barrier sound feature.
The wide view is a plus so that the riders may get the better image of their surroundings. This lightweight helmet has a flip-up feature for the visor to give the rider an edge to adjust.
Features of ILM 8 Colors Motorcycle Modular Flip-up Dual Visor Helmet:
- Easy to clean due to the removable liner
- Lightweight helmet liner and cheek pads
- Modular anti-scratch lip-up function
- Anti-fog wide view visor
- Sleek design to reduce wind noise
- ABS shell
- EPS impact absorption system
Full-face motor-cross helmets are drastically different than that of street helmets. Instead of a shield, they happen to have a full chin bar guard and also an opening for goggles.
The visors are also adjustable to keep the debris, sun, and rain out of sight and so the rider may experience no disturbance.
Must Read: “Best Halo Helmets Of 2019- The New Hit!”
13. Shoei VFX-W Barcia Off-Road Helmet:
This sleek-shaped helmet is known to cut the negative air pressure and provide great ventilation through the vents installed. It is a great buy and is easy to maintain and keep clean overall due to removable inner.
It is a perfect helmet for off-roading due to the adjustable shield that can guard one against airflow, debris, and fun distractions.
Features of Shoei VFX-W Barcia Off-Road Helmet:
- Lightweight due to organic fibers
- Excellent ventilation
- Reduces negative air pressure
- AIM and shell provides high performance
- Max-dry interior
- Easy to remove and clean liner
- Disperses moisture quickly
14. Bell Moto-9 Flex Off-Road Motorcycle:
This bell helmet is committed to providing the great head protection to the riders using the purposely built-in solutions. The helmet’s fit and longstanding ability keeps it in line. In the off-road racing and motor-cross, this helmet has proven to protect the rider to its maximum.
The three-layer liner incorporated in it is there to hold the impact energy of all three different levels of speed. Thus it is a great choice for the much greater price.
Features of Bell Moto-9 Flex Off-Road Motorcycle:
- Flex impact liner
- Lightweight carbon composite shell
- Magnetic cheek pads
- Easy removable and washable inner pads
- Antimicrobial fabric technology
- Velocity control ventilation system
- Protection against bacteria and odor
From literally any range of helmets high-end to the retro throwback basics, when it comes to wearing a helmet, fit is an important factor with the range of other factors already discussed above. Considering all those factors one shall always invest in a good helmet as the life is worth it.
Without a helmet, the head is not protected when you are hit in any crash and thus that leads to some people calling motorcycles as “donor-cycles” as the people who receive head injuries in any such calamity end up being brain dead while the rest of the body remains fit for the organ donation.
Helmet standards are mandatory and in some countries, they should follow DOT and Snell standards. For our own safety and fun, it is best to use a helmet so it is not your last.
Must Read: Best Motorcycle Helmet Heads-up Display